5 years of Film - Wild Film
Thursday, October 19 at 09:00
Wild Films turned 5 this year and we interviewed owner Leanne Gator about how far they have come and what they are looking forward to in the future.
Turning five is a big deal for us. This year my partner Alex joined the business and it’s really started to take off - so all the hard work is paying off! My first hour long documentary, The Tigers Of Scotland, is due out this year too and we’re excited about where that might go and what opportunities it may present to our business in the next few years.
What have you learnt in the last 5 years?
I’ve learned a good deal in the last five years. The biggest thing has been to accept that things take time to build up - especially in such a competitive industry as filmmaking. I’ve also spent the last five years specialising and developing niche skills which will stand me in far better stead than the jack-of-all approach I took when starting the business. I was taking on jobs as a commercial and events photographer, trying to make promotional films and making films about things that personally interested me, all at the same time - and it was tiring. It’s possible for some businesses to do that in filming and photography, but for us I think specialising helps a lot.
What are your goals for the next 5 years?
As a wildlife filmmaker, I would of course LOVE to work on an Attenborough programme - who wouldn’t?! Alex is a cinematographer for fiction films and we hope the next five years follow the current trend of him gaining increasingly more work on feature films and high end commercials. Both of these goals for our careers would mean our business grows exponentially, which is ultimately always the goal.
What has been the single most helpful thing to you (advice, support, finance, etc) over your business life so far?
I would say probably training. Continually improving our knowledge of our industry and the tools we use in it, but also improving our knowledge of how to run a business is what has been the most helpful thing. There’s always new camera equipment to familiarise ourselves with and new capabilities added to existing cameras, as well as new skills to develop, but there’s also trends in marketing and social media to keep on top of. I think sometimes people underestimate the value of training and development, but technology moves so fast that every business needs to keep on top of their training and development really.
Wild Films Specialises in Natural History shows and Cinematic Narrative/Drama productions, including outdoor, adventure and wildlife documentaries plus features, dramas and commercials. Wild Films provide cinematography services to the film and TV industries and is based in Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- How to get your side hustle off the ground without giving up the day job.9 Months Ago
- Shining a Light on the Success of Shearer Candles.12 Months Ago
- We caught up 2016 Small Biz 100 Lavolio!12 Months Ago
- KTD Surveying - Celebrating 5 years of business12 Months Ago
- 5 years of Film - Wild Film13 Months Ago
- New Car Deals is 5 years old!13 Months Ago
- Our first 5 year old Business is.... Tillycroy Support Services!14 Months Ago
- Rose and Olive increase sales and bookings!17 Months Ago
- Stripes Fashion connects with customers17 Months Ago
- Cakes with Faces promotes the Small Business Saturday message17 Months Ago
- Whitstable Produce Store celebrate their 3rd birthday in style17 Months Ago
- Kit & Caboodle feel the Small Business Saturday love!17 Months Ago
- Dandylion Teas look back on Small Business Saturday17 Months Ago
- Haven't Stopped Dancing Yet get into the groove!17 Months Ago
- Spice Kitchen notice the difference with Small Business Saturday17 Months Ago
- Small Business Saturday 2015 - Stoke Climsland Village Market, Cornwall3 Years Ago
- Burton's small business Conga Celebration On Small Business Saturday UK 20153 Years Ago
- Enfield3 Years Ago
- Grantham3 Years Ago
- Maidenhead3 Years Ago
- Barnard Castle - Chocolate Fayre3 Years Ago
- Mossley - Complete Forensics3 Years Ago
- York3 Years Ago
- Putney, SW London3 Years Ago
- Miscellaneous3 Years Ago
- Tower Hamlets3 Years Ago
- Wrexham3 Years Ago
- Love from Indie Street in Edinburgh3 Years Ago