Small Business Saturday Blog
Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data
Thursday, December 12 at 00:30
As Small Business Saturday puts small businesses and enterprises in the spotlight, it’s an ideal opportunity to shine a light on some of the ICO’s guidance to help make sure you are handling personal data safely and securely.
In celebration of Small Business Saturday 2019, the ICO launched a new SME website hub, developed to make it easy for sole traders, small businesses and SMEs to find the essential guidance they need to understand their GDPR obligations.
Almost every small business handles personal information and your customers share data online every time they visit your website, search for or buy something, or send you an email.
This information belongs to them. You should only use it in ways they would reasonably expect and it should be kept safe.
Since the advent of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), which is the new data protection law that came into force last year, more people are aware of their privacy rights in relation to personal data and how it’s being used and looked after.
Good information handling makes good business sense. When personal information is accurate, relevant and safe it can save you time and money which, in turn, builds trust and confidence with your customers and staff.
The key to achieving this is making sure the personal data you hold is secure. We’ve set out our top 10 tips for businesses that store personal information on a network:
1. Know your data – start with an inventory – understand what personal data you have, make sure you know where it is, how it is stored and who has access to it.
2. Make sure you have a data security policy – or ensure your existing data security policies and procedures are up to date and reflect the needs of your business.
3. Train your staff – put your policies and procedures into action. One of the main causes of data breaches is human error. Make sure you provide regular and adequate training for your staff.
4. Change default passwords – any new devices you buy come with default passwords, which are well-known by attackers. Using your own passwords and limiting the number of failed login attempts can deter attacks on your systems.
5. Limit access - each user must have, and use, their own username and password. Their account should have permissions appropriate to the job they are carrying out at the time. Access should be cancelled immediately if a staff member leaves the organisation or is absent for long periods.
6. Secure your wi-fi - allowing untrusted devices to connect to your network or using work devices on untrusted networks outside your office can put personal data at risk.
7. Install a firewall – if you store personal data on a network your first line of defence should be a well‐configured firewall. It can stop breaches happening before they get deep into your network.
8. Update your malware protection - you should have up‐to‐date anti‐virus or anti‐malware products regularly scanning your network to prevent or detect threats.
9. Regularly back-up your data - back‐ups should not be permanently visible to the rest of the network and at least one of your back‐ups should be off‐site. Don’t leave back-up drives unattended and lock them away when not in use. If you store data in the cloud, make sure you know what data is there.
10. Think about encryption - ensure that personal data can only be accessed by authorised users by encrypting it.
What to do when there’s a personal data breach:
A personal data breach is broadly a security incident that has affected the confidentiality, integrity or availability of personal data.
If your business experiences a breach, your first priority should be to mitigate any risks to those affected, for example by resetting passwords.
If the breach is likely to be a high risk to people, you need to quickly notify those affected and advise how they can protect themselves.
You must also let us know within 72 hours of becoming aware of it. We will take details and advise you of any further steps you can take to mitigate the risks and prevent similar breaches in the future.
If you think the breach is unlikely to pose a risk to people, you don’t need to report it to us, but you must still document the details and your rationale for not reporting.
If you want to report a breach, or you’re unsure about any aspect of managing a breach, you can ring our helpline on 0303 123 1113.
We also have a self-assessment form you can use when deciding whether to report a breach to us.
There is much more information on reporting personal data breaches on our website. We have also created a webinar which you can watch.
There is a wealth of guidance and resources on our website for small businesses.
If you are unsure if you need to follow data protection law you might want take our short quiz first.
You will also find a self-assessment checklist which you can use to improve your understanding of data protection. It will also suggest some practical actions you can take to make sure you are keeping people’s personal data secure.
By meeting your obligations, you'll enhance your business's reputation and increase customer and employee confidence. It shows you mean business.
Faye Spencer is Head of Customer Contact, Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (1)
- Brand (1)
- Branding (2)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Bus Tour (3)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (1)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Events (1)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Finance (3)
- Getting Online (2)
- HR (3)
- How To (4)
- Inspiration (4)
- Inspire Series (1)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (3)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (4)
- Recruitment (3)
- Small Biz 100 (2)
- Small Business (12)
- Small Business Saturday (13)
- Small Business Saturday 2015 (4)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Media (3)
- Start-Up Support (1)
- Top Tips (12)
- Six things you can do in your business right now2 Weeks Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?3 Weeks Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans4 Weeks Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?5 Weeks Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution6 Months Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups7 Months Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data7 Months Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder7 Months Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele8 Months Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty8 Months Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business8 Months Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick8 Months Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit9 Months Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK9 Months Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back9 Months Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars10 Months Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post10 Months Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 201911 Months Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know11 Months Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business11 Months Ago
- Strength in numbers12 Months Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business13 Months Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro13 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2019?13 Months Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs14 Months Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success14 Months Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way15 Months Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?15 Months Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day16 Months Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!17 Months Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it17 Months Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!18 Months Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA18 Months Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!20 Months Ago
- Life in the fast Laine20 Months Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace20 Months Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers20 Months Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study21 Months Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!21 Months Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times21 Months Ago
- How to open a corner shop21 Months Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball22 Months Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)22 Months Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget23 Months Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!23 Months Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business23 Months Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses23 Months Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!2 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street2 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends2 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions2 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business2 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!2 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!2 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....2 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?2 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 22 Years Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 12 Years Ago
- Save time with automation2 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it2 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20182 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.2 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses2 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses2 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts2 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses2 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour3 Years Ago
- There is still time to get involved!3 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?3 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses3 Years Ago
- Better people for Better business3 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street3 Years Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 20183 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!3 Years Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service3 Years Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!3 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management3 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!3 Years Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs3 Years Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions3 Years Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy3 Years Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding3 Years Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend3 Years Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity3 Years Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork3 Years Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business3 Years Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates3 Years Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk3 Years Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips3 Years Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups3 Years Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence3 Years Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event3 Years Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business3 Years Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair4 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million4 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix4 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill4 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed4 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution4 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.4 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships4 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild4 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training4 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business4 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business4 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing4 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes4 Years Ago
- Communication is key4 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found4 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?4 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?4 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine4 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine4 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?4 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier4 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet4 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki4 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business4 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business4 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques4 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital4 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert4 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?4 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business4 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter4 Years Ago
- Music makeover4 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding4 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses4 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday4 Years Ago
- Finding alternative sources of finance for your small business5 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday 2015: Burton5 Years Ago
- Top tips for finding a great office for your small business5 Years Ago
- Interview with Martin George of the Post Office5 Years Ago
- Colourful New Photo Exhibition of Levenshulme Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Small business and accessibility5 Years Ago
- 3 Online Tips for Small Business Saturday5 Years Ago
- A Pension Solution for small businesses tackling automatic enrolment5 Years Ago
- Competing Fairly in Business: advice all small businesses should know5 Years Ago
- Meet the businesses on the bus: Gough Quarters5 Years Ago
- Exhibition Marketing ideas for Beginners5 Years Ago
- How your business can make a difference with renewable energy5 Years Ago
- Your small business website: what to put on each page5 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Unflatpack5 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Recipe5 Years Ago
- How to get employment law right (and more) for small businesses5 Years Ago