Small Business Saturday Blog
How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)
Thursday, September 06 at 09:47
Guest blogging? It’s as easy as 123
The 4 simple steps to success in guest blogging
Guest blogging is simply writing blog posts that appear in other people’s blogs. Like so much in life, there are ways to guest blog successfully, and ways to get it wrong.
Why Should I Guest Blog?
Guest blogging helps you spread your word and expertise to a new audience; learning about what you have to offer will hopefully prompt a new audience to check you out. It also helps grow your recognition and reputation, connects you to worthy bloggers and increases opportunities for further guest blogging.
It’s a great way to push focus launches or products and add new members to your mailing list. It could otherwise take months to expand your coverage to the range you’ll achieve with guest blogging.
Some experts say guest blogging boosts your SEO performance by building links to your site; others disagree. In any case, linking back to your site makes good sense. Just direct your readers to relevant landing pages that respond to their interest.
How Can I Become a Guest Blogger?
There’s no mystery to becoming a successful guest blogger; just dedication, planning and a bit of hard work.
Step 1: Find suitable blogs to work with.
You could use a search engine to find strongly indexing blogs relevant to your topic or check out social media accounts in your niche to partner with. Digging around in the comments section of blogs you already follow could prove fruitful - are there subscribers there with blogs you could feature in?
Step 2: Choose your guest blog topic
The success of your post depends on your topic. Review the best-running articles from the recent past – using the volume of shares and comments as a guide. Use this selection to choose a topic that is interesting or relevant.
Step 3: Approach the blogger you want to work with.
It’s best to build a personal connection face to face, so use networking events, seminars and training sessions to your advantage. But as time and geography make real-life connections tricky you need a back-up!
First things first - before contacting a blogger, review their guest post guidelines. If they’re too restrictive for your liking, pass on and find someone else.
Contacting via email or website contact form works best. Because it’s a direct approach you’ll cut through direct to their inbox. I prefer to send a completed post to a blogger with my application. Not all guest posting guidelines suggest this – some just want a post outline.
If your potential host doesn’t think you’re the right fit, don’t worry. Either approach someone else (adapting your post to meet their guidelines) or simply publish the post on your own blog.
Step 4: Make the guest blog post work for you.
You may have finished your article, but the work isn’t over. Successful guest blogging depends on optimising the finer details.
- Include a strong author bio with a clear call to action. Mention products or services you’re currently marketing and use the call to action to encourage people to get your freebie and sign up for your newsletter.
- Include your social media accounts to drive your follower count and social media growth.
- Post links back to your own content in a way that feels natural and fits the flow of the article. If your host doesn’t permit this (many don’t), limit links to your author bio.
- Adapt your website to benefit from the guest blog. This might be setting up a dedicated landing page, creating a specific data capture form, or even just tweaking some your site’s content so it’s 100% relevant to your new visitors.
- Join the conversation! Make sure you respond to comments on your article. This is your chance to connect with a new audience.
What does Successful Guest Blogging Look Like?
Success means different things to different people – so be clear on what you want to achieve. There are direct effects, and indirect effects.
The direct effects of guest blogging are easier to measure - the number of social shares, comments, number of sign-ups or sales or referral traffic. Indirectly, you may see your followers increase, improve your search engine ranking, and improve your brand awareness.
Are results below expectations? There may be several factors. Perhaps the blog had a smaller audience than expected or your topic didn’t resonate with the audience. Was your call to action strong enough? How well did your landing page convert? Take the time to review your post and consider improvements for future guest posts.
Guest blogging can help you expand your influence, attract new audiences and raise your profile. Who knows, in time perhaps your blog will attract guest bloggers of your own?
What are your secrets for successful guest blogging?
Jennifer Corcoran is the CEO and Founder of My Super Connector, a social media consultancy. A LinkedIn specialist, Jennifer helps entrepreneurs and professionals to polish up their LinkedIn profiles and connect with finesse. Jennifer is also the host of LinkedIn Local Croydon.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (2)
- Applications (1)
- Brand (2)
- Branding (4)
- Btube (1)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Bus Tour (4)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (4)
- Crowdfunding (1)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Energy Savings (1)
- Events (2)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Fashion (1)
- Federation Of Small Business (1)
- Finance (4)
- Fsb (1)
- Getting Online (3)
- HR (3)
- How To (15)
- Inspiration (10)
- Inspire Series (2)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (4)
- Networking (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (4)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (5)
- Recruitment (5)
- Research (1)
- Retail Space (3)
- Shop Share (2)
- Small Biz 100 (6)
- Small Business (22)
- Small Business Saturday (18)
- Small Business Saturday 2015 (6)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Enterprise (1)
- Social Good (1)
- Social Media (4)
- Start-Up Support (6)
- Toolkit (3)
- Top Tips (13)
- Video (1)
- We Are Pop Up (3)
- Women (1)
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!2 Weeks Ago
- Life in the fast Laine3 Weeks Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace3 Weeks Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers4 Weeks Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study6 Weeks Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!7 Weeks Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times9 Weeks Ago
- How to open a corner shop9 Weeks Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball12 Weeks Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)13 Weeks Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget4 Months Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!4 Months Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business4 Months Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses4 Months Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!5 Months Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!5 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street5 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?6 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends6 Months Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals6 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business6 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions6 Months Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business7 Months Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!7 Months Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!7 Months Ago
- Let's get organised....8 Months Ago
- Is your business leaking money?8 Months Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 28 Months Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 18 Months Ago
- Save time with automation9 Months Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it9 Months Ago
- International Women's Day 20189 Months Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.10 Months Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses10 Months Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses10 Months Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts11 Months Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses11 Months Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour13 Months Ago
- There is still time to get involved!13 Months Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?13 Months Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses13 Months Ago
- Better people for Better business13 Months Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street13 Months Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 201813 Months Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!14 Months Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service14 Months Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!14 Months Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management15 Months Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!15 Months Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs15 Months Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions16 Months Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy16 Months Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding16 Months Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend17 Months Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity17 Months Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork18 Months Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business19 Months Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates20 Months Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk20 Months Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips20 Months Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups21 Months Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence22 Months Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event23 Months Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business23 Months Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair2 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million2 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix2 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill2 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed2 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution2 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.2 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships2 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild2 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training2 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business2 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business2 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing2 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes2 Years Ago
- Communication is key2 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found2 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?2 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?2 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine2 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine2 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?2 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier2 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet2 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki2 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business2 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business2 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses2 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques2 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital2 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert2 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?2 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business2 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter2 Years Ago
- Music makeover2 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding2 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses2 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday2 Years Ago
- Finding alternative sources of finance for your small business3 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday 2015: Burton3 Years Ago
- Top tips for finding a great office for your small business3 Years Ago
- Interview with Martin George of the Post Office3 Years Ago
- Colourful New Photo Exhibition of Levenshulme Small Businesses3 Years Ago
- Small business and accessibility3 Years Ago
- 3 Online Tips for Small Business Saturday3 Years Ago
- A Pension Solution for small businesses tackling automatic enrolment3 Years Ago
- Competing Fairly in Business: advice all small businesses should know3 Years Ago
- Meet the businesses on the bus: Gough Quarters3 Years Ago
- Exhibition Marketing ideas for Beginners3 Years Ago
- How your business can make a difference with renewable energy3 Years Ago
- Your small business website: what to put on each page3 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Unflatpack3 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Recipe3 Years Ago
- How to get employment law right (and more) for small businesses3 Years Ago
- Meet the businesses on the bus: Riverside Dental3 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday in the big city3 Years Ago
- How music can benefit small businesses3 Years Ago
- 5 steps to starting a business in Global Entrepreneurship Week3 Years Ago
- The sky's the limit3 Years Ago
- Marketing on a budget3 Years Ago
- Five ways to better know your customers3 Years Ago
- Inspire Series: Taking the first steps in recruitment3 Years Ago
- In conversation with Ollie Proudlock3 Years Ago
- Is your website doing what it should?3 Years Ago
- Social Saturday3 Years Ago
- Meet the Mentor3 Years Ago
- Coffee & chat with Oliver Proudlock3 Years Ago
- Networking: how do you feel about it?3 Years Ago
- Quick guide to accounting3 Years Ago
- TE&CH: Collaboration, Cross-Pollination and Re-imagination for small business success3 Years Ago
- Quick guide to Recruitment3 Years Ago
- Quick guide to PR & Marketing3 Years Ago
- How I measure the success of my pop up?3 Years Ago
- Eight tips for branding your food business3 Years Ago
- How to: set up a craft fair3 Years Ago
- 10 steps to launch your pop-up3 Years Ago
- How to: keep tabs on your energy bills3 Years Ago
- Honey and mud at Glastonbury Festival3 Years Ago
- How to: brand your small business3 Years Ago
- Stunning scented flowers from a stunning location3 Years Ago
- We Are Pop Up - how to pick a brand match3 Years Ago
- Why social media is a treasure for independent business collaboration3 Years Ago
- FAQs about applying to Small Biz 1003 Years Ago
- How to: Apply for Small Biz 1003 Years Ago
- How to: make a YouTube video3 Years Ago
- How to: get the right support3 Years Ago
- How To: Crowdfunding for a Small Business3 Years Ago