Small Business Saturday Blog
How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)
Thursday, September 06 at 09:47
Guest blogging? It’s as easy as 123
The 4 simple steps to success in guest blogging
Guest blogging is simply writing blog posts that appear in other people’s blogs. Like so much in life, there are ways to guest blog successfully, and ways to get it wrong.
Why Should I Guest Blog?
Guest blogging helps you spread your word and expertise to a new audience; learning about what you have to offer will hopefully prompt a new audience to check you out. It also helps grow your recognition and reputation, connects you to worthy bloggers and increases opportunities for further guest blogging.
It’s a great way to push focus launches or products and add new members to your mailing list. It could otherwise take months to expand your coverage to the range you’ll achieve with guest blogging.
Some experts say guest blogging boosts your SEO performance by building links to your site; others disagree. In any case, linking back to your site makes good sense. Just direct your readers to relevant landing pages that respond to their interest.
How Can I Become a Guest Blogger?
There’s no mystery to becoming a successful guest blogger; just dedication, planning and a bit of hard work.
Step 1: Find suitable blogs to work with.
You could use a search engine to find strongly indexing blogs relevant to your topic or check out social media accounts in your niche to partner with. Digging around in the comments section of blogs you already follow could prove fruitful - are there subscribers there with blogs you could feature in?
Step 2: Choose your guest blog topic
The success of your post depends on your topic. Review the best-running articles from the recent past – using the volume of shares and comments as a guide. Use this selection to choose a topic that is interesting or relevant.
Step 3: Approach the blogger you want to work with.
It’s best to build a personal connection face to face, so use networking events, seminars and training sessions to your advantage. But as time and geography make real-life connections tricky you need a back-up!
First things first - before contacting a blogger, review their guest post guidelines. If they’re too restrictive for your liking, pass on and find someone else.
Contacting via email or website contact form works best. Because it’s a direct approach you’ll cut through direct to their inbox. I prefer to send a completed post to a blogger with my application. Not all guest posting guidelines suggest this – some just want a post outline.
If your potential host doesn’t think you’re the right fit, don’t worry. Either approach someone else (adapting your post to meet their guidelines) or simply publish the post on your own blog.
Step 4: Make the guest blog post work for you.
You may have finished your article, but the work isn’t over. Successful guest blogging depends on optimising the finer details.
- Include a strong author bio with a clear call to action. Mention products or services you’re currently marketing and use the call to action to encourage people to get your freebie and sign up for your newsletter.
- Include your social media accounts to drive your follower count and social media growth.
- Post links back to your own content in a way that feels natural and fits the flow of the article. If your host doesn’t permit this (many don’t), limit links to your author bio.
- Adapt your website to benefit from the guest blog. This might be setting up a dedicated landing page, creating a specific data capture form, or even just tweaking some your site’s content so it’s 100% relevant to your new visitors.
- Join the conversation! Make sure you respond to comments on your article. This is your chance to connect with a new audience.
What does Successful Guest Blogging Look Like?
Success means different things to different people – so be clear on what you want to achieve. There are direct effects, and indirect effects.
The direct effects of guest blogging are easier to measure - the number of social shares, comments, number of sign-ups or sales or referral traffic. Indirectly, you may see your followers increase, improve your search engine ranking, and improve your brand awareness.
Are results below expectations? There may be several factors. Perhaps the blog had a smaller audience than expected or your topic didn’t resonate with the audience. Was your call to action strong enough? How well did your landing page convert? Take the time to review your post and consider improvements for future guest posts.
Guest blogging can help you expand your influence, attract new audiences and raise your profile. Who knows, in time perhaps your blog will attract guest bloggers of your own?
What are your secrets for successful guest blogging?
Jennifer Corcoran is the CEO and Founder of My Super Connector, a social media consultancy. A LinkedIn specialist, Jennifer helps entrepreneurs and professionals to polish up their LinkedIn profiles and connect with finesse. Jennifer is also the host of LinkedIn Local Croydon.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (1)
- Brand (1)
- Branding (2)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Bus Tour (4)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (2)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Events (1)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Federation Of Small Business (1)
- Finance (3)
- Fsb (1)
- Getting Online (2)
- HR (3)
- How To (4)
- Inspiration (6)
- Inspire Series (1)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (3)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (4)
- Recruitment (3)
- Small Biz 100 (2)
- Small Business (13)
- Small Business Saturday (16)
- Small Business Saturday 2015 (6)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Media (3)
- Start-Up Support (1)
- Top Tips (12)
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data2 Days Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder11 Days Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele2 Weeks Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty3 Weeks Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business4 Weeks Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick5 Weeks Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit6 Weeks Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK7 Weeks Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back9 Weeks Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars13 Weeks Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post14 Weeks Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20194 Months Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know4 Months Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business4 Months Ago
- Strength in numbers5 Months Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business6 Months Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro6 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2019?6 Months Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs7 Months Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success7 Months Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way8 Months Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?8 Months Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day9 Months Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!10 Months Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it10 Months Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!11 Months Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA11 Months Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!13 Months Ago
- Life in the fast Laine13 Months Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace13 Months Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers13 Months Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study14 Months Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!14 Months Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times14 Months Ago
- How to open a corner shop14 Months Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball15 Months Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)15 Months Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget16 Months Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!16 Months Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business16 Months Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses16 Months Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!17 Months Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!17 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street17 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?18 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends18 Months Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals18 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business18 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions18 Months Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business19 Months Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!19 Months Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!19 Months Ago
- Let's get organised....20 Months Ago
- Is your business leaking money?20 Months Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 220 Months Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 120 Months Ago
- Save time with automation21 Months Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it21 Months Ago
- International Women's Day 201821 Months Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.22 Months Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses22 Months Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses22 Months Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts23 Months Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses23 Months Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour2 Years Ago
- There is still time to get involved!2 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?2 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses2 Years Ago
- Better people for Better business2 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street2 Years Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 20182 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!2 Years Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service2 Years Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!2 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management2 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!2 Years Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs2 Years Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions2 Years Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy2 Years Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding2 Years Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend2 Years Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity2 Years Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork2 Years Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business2 Years Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates2 Years Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk2 Years Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips2 Years Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups2 Years Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence2 Years Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event2 Years Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business2 Years Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair3 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million3 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix3 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill3 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed3 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution3 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.3 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships3 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild3 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training3 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business3 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business3 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing3 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes3 Years Ago
- Communication is key3 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found3 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?3 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?3 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine3 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine3 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?3 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier3 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet3 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki3 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business3 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business3 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses3 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques3 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital3 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert3 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?3 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business3 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter3 Years Ago
- Music makeover3 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding3 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses3 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday3 Years Ago
- Finding alternative sources of finance for your small business4 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday 2015: Burton4 Years Ago
- Top tips for finding a great office for your small business4 Years Ago
- Interview with Martin George of the Post Office4 Years Ago
- Colourful New Photo Exhibition of Levenshulme Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- Small business and accessibility4 Years Ago
- 3 Online Tips for Small Business Saturday4 Years Ago
- A Pension Solution for small businesses tackling automatic enrolment4 Years Ago
- Competing Fairly in Business: advice all small businesses should know4 Years Ago
- Meet the businesses on the bus: Gough Quarters4 Years Ago
- Exhibition Marketing ideas for Beginners4 Years Ago
- How your business can make a difference with renewable energy4 Years Ago
- Your small business website: what to put on each page4 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Unflatpack4 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Recipe4 Years Ago
- How to get employment law right (and more) for small businesses4 Years Ago
- Meet the businesses on the bus: Riverside Dental4 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday in the big city4 Years Ago
- How music can benefit small businesses4 Years Ago
- 5 steps to starting a business in Global Entrepreneurship Week4 Years Ago
- The sky's the limit4 Years Ago
- Marketing on a budget4 Years Ago