Small Business Saturday Blog
How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)
Thursday, September 06 at 09:47
Guest blogging? It’s as easy as 123
The 4 simple steps to success in guest blogging
Guest blogging is simply writing blog posts that appear in other people’s blogs. Like so much in life, there are ways to guest blog successfully, and ways to get it wrong.
Why Should I Guest Blog?
Guest blogging helps you spread your word and expertise to a new audience; learning about what you have to offer will hopefully prompt a new audience to check you out. It also helps grow your recognition and reputation, connects you to worthy bloggers and increases opportunities for further guest blogging.
It’s a great way to push focus launches or products and add new members to your mailing list. It could otherwise take months to expand your coverage to the range you’ll achieve with guest blogging.
Some experts say guest blogging boosts your SEO performance by building links to your site; others disagree. In any case, linking back to your site makes good sense. Just direct your readers to relevant landing pages that respond to their interest.
How Can I Become a Guest Blogger?
There’s no mystery to becoming a successful guest blogger; just dedication, planning and a bit of hard work.
Step 1: Find suitable blogs to work with.
You could use a search engine to find strongly indexing blogs relevant to your topic or check out social media accounts in your niche to partner with. Digging around in the comments section of blogs you already follow could prove fruitful - are there subscribers there with blogs you could feature in?
Step 2: Choose your guest blog topic
The success of your post depends on your topic. Review the best-running articles from the recent past – using the volume of shares and comments as a guide. Use this selection to choose a topic that is interesting or relevant.
Step 3: Approach the blogger you want to work with.
It’s best to build a personal connection face to face, so use networking events, seminars and training sessions to your advantage. But as time and geography make real-life connections tricky you need a back-up!
First things first - before contacting a blogger, review their guest post guidelines. If they’re too restrictive for your liking, pass on and find someone else.
Contacting via email or website contact form works best. Because it’s a direct approach you’ll cut through direct to their inbox. I prefer to send a completed post to a blogger with my application. Not all guest posting guidelines suggest this – some just want a post outline.
If your potential host doesn’t think you’re the right fit, don’t worry. Either approach someone else (adapting your post to meet their guidelines) or simply publish the post on your own blog.
Step 4: Make the guest blog post work for you.
You may have finished your article, but the work isn’t over. Successful guest blogging depends on optimising the finer details.
- Include a strong author bio with a clear call to action. Mention products or services you’re currently marketing and use the call to action to encourage people to get your freebie and sign up for your newsletter.
- Include your social media accounts to drive your follower count and social media growth.
- Post links back to your own content in a way that feels natural and fits the flow of the article. If your host doesn’t permit this (many don’t), limit links to your author bio.
- Adapt your website to benefit from the guest blog. This might be setting up a dedicated landing page, creating a specific data capture form, or even just tweaking some your site’s content so it’s 100% relevant to your new visitors.
- Join the conversation! Make sure you respond to comments on your article. This is your chance to connect with a new audience.
What does Successful Guest Blogging Look Like?
Success means different things to different people – so be clear on what you want to achieve. There are direct effects, and indirect effects.
The direct effects of guest blogging are easier to measure - the number of social shares, comments, number of sign-ups or sales or referral traffic. Indirectly, you may see your followers increase, improve your search engine ranking, and improve your brand awareness.
Are results below expectations? There may be several factors. Perhaps the blog had a smaller audience than expected or your topic didn’t resonate with the audience. Was your call to action strong enough? How well did your landing page convert? Take the time to review your post and consider improvements for future guest posts.
Guest blogging can help you expand your influence, attract new audiences and raise your profile. Who knows, in time perhaps your blog will attract guest bloggers of your own?
What are your secrets for successful guest blogging?
Jennifer Corcoran is the CEO and Founder of My Super Connector, a social media consultancy. A LinkedIn specialist, Jennifer helps entrepreneurs and professionals to polish up their LinkedIn profiles and connect with finesse. Jennifer is also the host of LinkedIn Local Croydon.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (1)
- Brand (1)
- Branding (1)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (1)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Finance (2)
- Getting Online (2)
- HR (3)
- How To (4)
- Inspiration (1)
- Inspire Series (1)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (3)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (3)
- Recruitment (3)
- Small Biz 100 (2)
- Small Business (9)
- Small Business Saturday (10)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Media (3)
- Start-Up Support (1)
- Top Tips (10)
- Smile and say cheese2 Days Ago
- The perfect planner for when you didn’t plan for this4 Weeks Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2021?4 Months Ago
- Feeling lighter than air at The Float Spa10 Months Ago
- At the cutting edge of local community10 Months Ago
- Sewing the seeds of success in Scotland10 Months Ago
- Joco's leap of faith pays off10 Months Ago
- No messing around! How Tom Foolery Coffee Company pivoted during the pandemic10 Months Ago
- How Mandira’s Kitchen has its eye on spicing up your freezer10 Months Ago
- Wild about keeping it local and healthy in Bristol11 Months Ago
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration12 Months Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools14 Months Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now16 Months Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?16 Months Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans16 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?17 Months Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution21 Months Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups22 Months Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data22 Months Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder22 Months Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele23 Months Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty23 Months Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business23 Months Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick23 Months Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit2 Years Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK2 Years Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back2 Years Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars2 Years Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post2 Years Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20192 Years Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know2 Years Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business2 Years Ago
- Strength in numbers2 Years Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business2 Years Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro2 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2019?2 Years Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs2 Years Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success2 Years Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way2 Years Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?2 Years Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day2 Years Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!2 Years Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it2 Years Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!2 Years Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA2 Years Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!3 Years Ago
- Life in the fast Laine3 Years Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace3 Years Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers3 Years Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study3 Years Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!3 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times3 Years Ago
- How to open a corner shop3 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball3 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)3 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget3 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!3 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business3 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses3 Years Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!3 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!3 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street3 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?3 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends3 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals3 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business3 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions3 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business3 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!3 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!3 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....3 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?3 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 23 Years Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 13 Years Ago
- Save time with automation3 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it3 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20183 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.3 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses3 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses3 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts3 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses3 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour4 Years Ago
- There is still time to get involved!4 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?4 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- Better people for Better business4 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street4 Years Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 20184 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!4 Years Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service4 Years Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!4 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management4 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!4 Years Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs4 Years Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions4 Years Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy4 Years Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding4 Years Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend4 Years Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity4 Years Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork4 Years Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business4 Years Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates4 Years Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk4 Years Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips4 Years Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups4 Years Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence4 Years Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event4 Years Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business4 Years Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair5 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million5 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix5 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill5 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed5 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution5 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.5 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships5 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild5 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training5 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business5 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business5 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing5 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes5 Years Ago
- Communication is key5 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found5 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?5 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?5 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine5 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine5 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?5 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier5 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet5 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki5 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business5 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business5 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques5 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital5 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert5 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?5 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business5 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter5 Years Ago
- Music makeover5 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding5 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses5 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday5 Years Ago
- Finding alternative sources of finance for your small business6 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday 2015: Burton6 Years Ago
- Top tips for finding a great office for your small business6 Years Ago
- Interview with Martin George of the Post Office6 Years Ago