Small Business Saturday Blog
How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)
Thursday, September 06 at 09:47
Guest blogging? It’s as easy as 123
The 4 simple steps to success in guest blogging
Guest blogging is simply writing blog posts that appear in other people’s blogs. Like so much in life, there are ways to guest blog successfully, and ways to get it wrong.
Why Should I Guest Blog?
Guest blogging helps you spread your word and expertise to a new audience; learning about what you have to offer will hopefully prompt a new audience to check you out. It also helps grow your recognition and reputation, connects you to worthy bloggers and increases opportunities for further guest blogging.
It’s a great way to push focus launches or products and add new members to your mailing list. It could otherwise take months to expand your coverage to the range you’ll achieve with guest blogging.
Some experts say guest blogging boosts your SEO performance by building links to your site; others disagree. In any case, linking back to your site makes good sense. Just direct your readers to relevant landing pages that respond to their interest.
How Can I Become a Guest Blogger?
There’s no mystery to becoming a successful guest blogger; just dedication, planning and a bit of hard work.
Step 1: Find suitable blogs to work with.
You could use a search engine to find strongly indexing blogs relevant to your topic or check out social media accounts in your niche to partner with. Digging around in the comments section of blogs you already follow could prove fruitful - are there subscribers there with blogs you could feature in?
Step 2: Choose your guest blog topic
The success of your post depends on your topic. Review the best-running articles from the recent past – using the volume of shares and comments as a guide. Use this selection to choose a topic that is interesting or relevant.
Step 3: Approach the blogger you want to work with.
It’s best to build a personal connection face to face, so use networking events, seminars and training sessions to your advantage. But as time and geography make real-life connections tricky you need a back-up!
First things first - before contacting a blogger, review their guest post guidelines. If they’re too restrictive for your liking, pass on and find someone else.
Contacting via email or website contact form works best. Because it’s a direct approach you’ll cut through direct to their inbox. I prefer to send a completed post to a blogger with my application. Not all guest posting guidelines suggest this – some just want a post outline.
If your potential host doesn’t think you’re the right fit, don’t worry. Either approach someone else (adapting your post to meet their guidelines) or simply publish the post on your own blog.
Step 4: Make the guest blog post work for you.
You may have finished your article, but the work isn’t over. Successful guest blogging depends on optimising the finer details.
- Include a strong author bio with a clear call to action. Mention products or services you’re currently marketing and use the call to action to encourage people to get your freebie and sign up for your newsletter.
- Include your social media accounts to drive your follower count and social media growth.
- Post links back to your own content in a way that feels natural and fits the flow of the article. If your host doesn’t permit this (many don’t), limit links to your author bio.
- Adapt your website to benefit from the guest blog. This might be setting up a dedicated landing page, creating a specific data capture form, or even just tweaking some your site’s content so it’s 100% relevant to your new visitors.
- Join the conversation! Make sure you respond to comments on your article. This is your chance to connect with a new audience.
What does Successful Guest Blogging Look Like?
Success means different things to different people – so be clear on what you want to achieve. There are direct effects, and indirect effects.
The direct effects of guest blogging are easier to measure - the number of social shares, comments, number of sign-ups or sales or referral traffic. Indirectly, you may see your followers increase, improve your search engine ranking, and improve your brand awareness.
Are results below expectations? There may be several factors. Perhaps the blog had a smaller audience than expected or your topic didn’t resonate with the audience. Was your call to action strong enough? How well did your landing page convert? Take the time to review your post and consider improvements for future guest posts.
Guest blogging can help you expand your influence, attract new audiences and raise your profile. Who knows, in time perhaps your blog will attract guest bloggers of your own?
What are your secrets for successful guest blogging?
Jennifer Corcoran is the CEO and Founder of My Super Connector, a social media consultancy. A LinkedIn specialist, Jennifer helps entrepreneurs and professionals to polish up their LinkedIn profiles and connect with finesse. Jennifer is also the host of LinkedIn Local Croydon.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (1)
- Brand (1)
- Branding (1)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (1)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Finance (1)
- Getting Online (2)
- HR (3)
- How To (4)
- Inspiration (1)
- Inspire Series (1)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (3)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (3)
- Recruitment (3)
- Small Biz 100 (2)
- Small Business (9)
- Small Business Saturday (10)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Media (3)
- Start-Up Support (1)
- Top Tips (9)
- From field to fork – making the most of Cheshire’s local produce5 Months Ago
- Sustainable living with BLANC6 Months Ago
- Pizza power6 Months Ago
- In the good books6 Months Ago
- From babygrows to beer kits6 Months Ago
- Smile and say cheese7 Months Ago
- The perfect planner for when you didn’t plan for this8 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2021?11 Months Ago
- Feeling lighter than air at The Float Spa17 Months Ago
- At the cutting edge of local community17 Months Ago
- Sewing the seeds of success in Scotland17 Months Ago
- Joco's leap of faith pays off17 Months Ago
- No messing around! How Tom Foolery Coffee Company pivoted during the pandemic17 Months Ago
- How Mandira’s Kitchen has its eye on spicing up your freezer17 Months Ago
- Wild about keeping it local and healthy in Bristol18 Months Ago
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration19 Months Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools21 Months Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now23 Months Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?23 Months Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans23 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?2 Years Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution2 Years Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups3 Years Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data3 Years Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder3 Years Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele3 Years Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty3 Years Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business3 Years Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick3 Years Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit3 Years Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK3 Years Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back3 Years Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars3 Years Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post3 Years Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20193 Years Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know3 Years Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business3 Years Ago
- Strength in numbers3 Years Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business3 Years Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro3 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2019?3 Years Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs3 Years Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success3 Years Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way3 Years Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?3 Years Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day3 Years Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!3 Years Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it3 Years Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!3 Years Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA3 Years Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!4 Years Ago
- Life in the fast Laine4 Years Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace4 Years Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers4 Years Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study4 Years Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!4 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times4 Years Ago
- How to open a corner shop4 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball4 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)4 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget4 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!4 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business4 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses4 Years Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!4 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street4 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends4 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions4 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business4 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!4 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!4 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....4 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?4 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 24 Years Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 14 Years Ago
- Save time with automation4 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it4 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20184 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.4 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts4 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses4 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour5 Years Ago
- There is still time to get involved!5 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?5 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Better people for Better business5 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street5 Years Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 20185 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!5 Years Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service5 Years Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!5 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management5 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!5 Years Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs5 Years Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions5 Years Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy5 Years Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding5 Years Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend5 Years Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity5 Years Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork5 Years Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business5 Years Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates5 Years Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk5 Years Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips5 Years Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups5 Years Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence5 Years Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event5 Years Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business5 Years Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair6 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million6 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix6 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill6 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed6 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution6 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.6 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships6 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild6 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training6 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business6 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business6 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing6 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes6 Years Ago
- Communication is key6 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found6 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?6 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?6 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine6 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine6 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?6 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier6 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet6 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki6 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business6 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business6 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses6 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques6 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital6 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert6 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?6 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business6 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter6 Years Ago
- Music makeover6 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding6 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses6 Years Ago