Small Business Saturday Blog
Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?
Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 22:59
Making Tax Digital (MTD) came to the UK this April, and it’s set to transform the way taxes are managed and filed through HMRC (the government department responsible for their collection). So now is the time to find out if and how MTD affects your small business, and what you or your accountant need to do to get ready.
What is Making Tax Digital?
MTD is an HMRC initiative designed to make the UK tax system more efficient and effective by replacing the manual process of submitting your tax records with an integrated system that does it for you automatically. Businesses will be asked to store and submit their tax records using MTD-compatible software (which we’ll come to later), and will no longer use Government Gateway for tax filing.
Why is it happening?
It’s easy to make errors when a year or more’s worth of financial data needs to be organised and submitted. The risk increases when businesses go without any of the digital tools designed to consolidate and simplify the process. When UK200, the UK’s leading association of independent chartered accountants and law firms, surveyed its members on their approach to tax, they found that:
- 65% of those members’ SME clients didn’t use software to keep tax records
- 50% used manual records or spreadsheets
- 16% used a shoebox
MTD encourages companies like these to be more digitally-minded, reducing the chance of information being lost and errors being made. The knock-on benefits of this for small businesses are huge. According to Business Advice UK, small businesses lose three working weeks and about £5,000 to tax compliance every year. This is time and money you can’t afford to be without, and with the shift to MTD, the hope is that you can win them back.
The new digital system will also impact the UK in a broader sense. Mistakes cost the government over £9 billion a year, according to HMRC. Add the £15 billion lost to tax fraud, and you start to see a sizeable tax deficit. This has a knock on effect for everyone, as services like education and transport receive less funding. By simplifying the process, and making it harder for fraudsters to abuse the system, the government hopes there will be fewer losses.
What types of business does it affect?
MTD will be limited to VAT filing for the time being. This means that from April 2019, UK businesses with a taxable turnover above the VAT threshold of £85,000 will be obliged to submit their VAT records to HMRC using MTD-compatible software. Companies in HMRC’s deferral group don’t have to enrol until October 2019. You can see what types of company fall into that group here.
Corporation Tax, NI and Income Tax will be added to the MTD initiative from April 2020.
What are businesses required to do?
Now to the part you’ve been waiting for. We’ve broken down everything you need to do if your business is VAT-registered, or if you think you’ll exceed the £85,000 threshold in the next 12 months.
Choose MTD-compatible software
The type of software you should choose is affected by whether you as the business owner, or an agent, manages your business’s tax. If it’s a financial agent or accountant making the selection, get them to involve you in that process — platforms have various different benefits and price points to suit different businesses.
HMRC has created a list of compatible platforms for both businesses and agents. There is also a list of platforms in development, i.e. platforms that HMRC is reviewing and trialling for their compatibility.
Create a Making Tax Digital account
Next, you need to sign up for an MTD account, which will allow you to link your software with HMRC’s systems and receive extra help on going digital.
You can sign up for an MTD business account here. Or if a financial agent manages your records, they can sign up here.
Authorise your software
Once you’ve got your software and MTD accounts set up, simply authorise the software. This connects the two and gets you fully ready to send your VAT returns digitally.
How will businesses manage tax from now on?
MTD will eventually phase out all existing manual and paper-based systems by 2020, replacing them with a process that uses your MTD-compatible software to:
- File digital records (business information and records of services/products supplied or received, such as online invoices and sales data)
- Track the tax you owe
- Send quarterly tax data to HMRC
- Send an end-of-year statement to HMRC (most software will do this and the quarterly update automatically)
This new process means that business owners will need to stay on top of collecting digital records day-to-day. Integrated payment systems like Square are designed to take care of this in the background by consolidating sales data from all areas of your business. With a bakery for example, Square’s point-of-sale app would collectively save all records for goods sold in-store, large orders paid for via invoice and any payments taken over the phone.
- Inspire Series (1)
- Monday Seller Success With Ebay (8)
- Small Biz 100 (1)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (8)
- Saying cheese in Prestatyn12 Weeks Ago
- Hitting the sweet spot in Bucks and Oxon13 Weeks Ago
- Telford’s Lean Green Eco Machine13 Weeks Ago
- We all scream for ice cream14 Weeks Ago
- #SmallBiz100 Joco returns to its roots14 Weeks Ago
- Coming in from the cold in central London15 Weeks Ago
- Bitten by the bug in East Sussex15 Weeks Ago
- Still rocking in Southend on Sea4 Months Ago
- Nobody's fool4 Months Ago
- 16 years of love in Ipswich4 Months Ago
- Small businesses celebrated at the Blue Tie Ball4 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2023?9 Months Ago
- Zero to hero in Nottingham15 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: That Vintage Football Shirt15 Months Ago
- Rock on in Southend on Sea15 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Purrfect Cat Gifts15 Months Ago
- One love, one heart on Ipswich’s high street15 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Hampers by Lauren15 Months Ago
- Good graces in Bristol and Bath15 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Top Dog15 Months Ago
- Weigh to go in Northwich15 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Handpicked Penrith16 Months Ago
- Holy cow in Westmorland16 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: The game is afoot16 Months Ago
- All fired up and ready to go in Gerrards Cross16 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Meteorite Man16 Months Ago
- Dorset's Ice Cream Appreciation Society16 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success Story with eBay: Giddy Goats Toys16 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 celebrated at the Blue Tie Event16 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2022?21 Months Ago
- From field to fork – making the most of Cheshire’s local produce3 Years Ago
- Sustainable living with BLANC3 Years Ago
- Pizza power3 Years Ago
- In the good books3 Years Ago
- From babygrows to beer kits3 Years Ago
- Smile and say cheese3 Years Ago
- The perfect planner for when you didn’t plan for this3 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2021?3 Years Ago
- Feeling lighter than air at The Float Spa4 Years Ago
- At the cutting edge of local community4 Years Ago
- Sewing the seeds of success in Scotland4 Years Ago
- Joco's leap of faith pays off4 Years Ago
- No messing around! How Tom Foolery Coffee Company pivoted during the pandemic4 Years Ago
- How Mandira’s Kitchen has its eye on spicing up your freezer4 Years Ago
- Wild about keeping it local and healthy in Bristol4 Years Ago
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration4 Years Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools4 Years Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now4 Years Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?4 Years Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans4 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?4 Years Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution4 Years Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups5 Years Ago
- A helpful guide to data protection for small businesses5 Years Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder5 Years Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele5 Years Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty5 Years Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business5 Years Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick5 Years Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit5 Years Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK5 Years Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back5 Years Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars5 Years Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post5 Years Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20195 Years Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know5 Years Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business5 Years Ago
- Strength in numbers5 Years Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business5 Years Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro5 Years Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs5 Years Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success5 Years Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way5 Years Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?5 Years Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day5 Years Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!5 Years Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it5 Years Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!5 Years Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA5 Years Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!6 Years Ago
- Life in the fast Laine6 Years Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace6 Years Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers6 Years Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study6 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times6 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball6 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)6 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget6 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!6 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business6 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses6 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!6 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street6 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?6 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends6 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals6 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business6 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions6 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business6 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!6 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!6 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....6 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?6 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 26 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it6 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20186 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.6 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses6 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses6 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts6 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses6 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour7 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?7 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses7 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street7 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management7 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!7 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday8 Years Ago
- Why I applied to Small Biz 100: Crafty Revolution tells all9 Years Ago