Small Business Saturday Blog
Monday Seller Success with eBay: Meteorite Man
Monday, October 17 at 12:52
Martin Goff tells us how an interest in fossils sparked a passion for rocks from space which segued into a business selling meteorites online, how selling online has helped him grow his customer base, and why knowing your customer is key.
Tell us a little about your business.
My business is based in Rossendale, Lancashire and is called Msg-Meteorites. I sell rocks from space, known as meteorites, and also associated items including books, jewellery, cards, and space-themed gifts.
Around 40 tons of extra-terrestrial material lands on earth every day. It’s blasted off the parent body, such as a large asteroid or planetary body, and occasionally it intersects with the earth’s atmosphere and lands here as meteorites.
I enjoy the history and cultural impact on people and places that these rocks from space leave behind, as well as the science involved. It’s the interweaving of all these different aspects that makes collecting meteorites such a fascinating and engrossing hobby for me. They certainly provide a strong sense of place in this world we live in and show us how insignificant we really are in the scheme of things.
I do tradeshows and also sell to museums and institutions, as well as private collectors and the general public.
How on earth (no pun intended) did you get started with your business?
I started out collecting fossils. Back in 2007, one of the dealers that I bought fossils from had a few small meteorites for sale. I was astounded that you could buy a meteorite! so I bought a small Campo del Cielo crystal (which of course I still have) and that was the seed that started me off.
I am in awe of these rocks from space: just being able to hold something in your hand that is older than the Earth that we live on still blows me away every time. The feeling of wonderment and sense of perspective that this gives you never goes away and in fact only deepens as your knowledge increases.
The transition from collector to dealer was very fluid. I used to exhibit at shows where I would put items out on display and visitors were constantly asking if they could buy them from me. I knew that the interest was there and saw an opportunity to develop it into a business. I started the business in 2015.
I made my very first ad hoc sales of meteorites directly to other collectors through online forums and mailing lists. But my first regular sales were made through eBay. I had used eBay to sell a few things before and I found it easy to set up to sell in more volume. From there I also then sold on other online marketplaces and also set up a web shop on my website.
I scaled my business relatively slowly but surely. I still work full time as a Police CSI so fit the business in around that and my family. However, my plan is definitely to move to run the business full time as I do not have the time at the moment that I need to grow it further.
What channels do you sell your products on?
I sell online via my own website and shop, along with eBay and other online marketplaces. I also sell via social media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and at various astronomy and science shows and fairs in the UK and abroad.
I developed my store and business by using social media and using different sales channels. I started with eBay for example but now also sell on ETSY and directly via Facebook and Instagram and other social media. I was well known as a collector within the meteorite community, but those varied sales channels and social media are helping to spread the word further. I am passionate about meteorites and really do enjoy talking to people to spread the word. I find children especially are often fascinated by space and meteorites. So, the science and Astronomy shows that I attend in person really help to showcase my business and I really do enjoy attending them too.
What has helped you grow as a business?
Selling online has been really important for me. It’s been far easier for me to reach a greater number of people through platforms such as eBay than I would have been able to through my own marketing. As I’ve become better known, I will get repeat customers directly through my website, but those customers originally found me via online markets such as eBay.
Having a variety of different avenues for selling also means that when they differ in their sales volumes, I can get through any lulls more easily.
- Zero to hero in Nottingham5 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: That Vintage Football Shirt5 Months Ago
- Rock on in Southend on Sea5 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Purrfect Cat Gifts5 Months Ago
- One love, one heart on Ipswich’s high street5 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Hampers by Lauren5 Months Ago
- Good graces in Bristol and Bath5 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Top Dog5 Months Ago
- Weigh to go in Northwich5 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Handpicked Penrith6 Months Ago
- Holy cow in Westmorland6 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: The game is afoot6 Months Ago
- All fired up and ready to go in Gerrards Cross6 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Meteorite Man6 Months Ago
- Dorset's Ice Cream Appreciation Society6 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success Story with eBay: Giddy Goats Toys6 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 celebrated at the Blue Tie Event6 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2022?11 Months Ago
- From field to fork – making the most of Cheshire’s local produce16 Months Ago
- Sustainable living with BLANC17 Months Ago
- Pizza power17 Months Ago
- In the good books17 Months Ago
- From babygrows to beer kits17 Months Ago
- Smile and say cheese18 Months Ago
- The perfect planner for when you didn’t plan for this19 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2021?22 Months Ago
- Feeling lighter than air at The Float Spa3 Years Ago
- At the cutting edge of local community3 Years Ago
- Sewing the seeds of success in Scotland3 Years Ago
- Joco's leap of faith pays off3 Years Ago
- No messing around! How Tom Foolery Coffee Company pivoted during the pandemic3 Years Ago
- How Mandira’s Kitchen has its eye on spicing up your freezer3 Years Ago
- Wild about keeping it local and healthy in Bristol3 Years Ago
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration3 Years Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools3 Years Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now3 Years Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?3 Years Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans3 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?3 Years Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution3 Years Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups4 Years Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data4 Years Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder4 Years Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele4 Years Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty4 Years Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business4 Years Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick4 Years Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit4 Years Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK4 Years Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back4 Years Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars4 Years Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post4 Years Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20194 Years Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know4 Years Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business4 Years Ago
- Strength in numbers4 Years Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business4 Years Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro4 Years Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs4 Years Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success4 Years Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way4 Years Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?4 Years Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day4 Years Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!4 Years Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it4 Years Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!4 Years Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA4 Years Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!5 Years Ago
- Life in the fast Laine5 Years Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace5 Years Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers5 Years Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study5 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times5 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball5 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)5 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget5 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!5 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business5 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses5 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street5 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends5 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions5 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business5 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!5 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!5 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....5 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?5 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 25 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it5 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20185 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.5 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts5 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses5 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour6 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?6 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses6 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street6 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management6 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!6 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday7 Years Ago
- Why I applied to Small Biz 100: Crafty Revolution tells all8 Years Ago