Small Business Saturday Blog
Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it
Friday, March 23, 2018 at 09:53
Did you know that setting yourself a really challenging goalmakes it much more likely that you will have a successful year, even if youdon’t actually achieve the goal?
It’s because a stretching goal forces you to take big stepstowards it, rather than just continuing to do what you’ve done before. Itpushes you to think outside the box, and to make a shift.
I know, because I did it last year.
As a business coach, I work with small business owners. Ayear ago I was focusing exclusively on 1:1 coaching. Then I set myself a goalto “help 500 small business owners in 2017”.
I wasn’t going to achieve that simply by 1:1 coaching. Ineeded to reach groups of people. That led to me running workshops, writingguest blogs, sending a weekly newsletter to my mailing list, going outnetworking and giving talks.
I would probably never have done any of that without my BIGgoal.
So how do you identify your goal?
Rather than a goal, I prefer to think of it as a vision. Forme the word ‘vision’ conjures up something much more exciting and inspiring.Something that you can really connect with emotionally and get motivated towork towards.
There are lots of ways to come up with your vision. Theleast effective way is to sit down with a blank document, write or type VISIONat the top of the page and wait for inspiration to strike!
It’s far more effective to access the more creative parts ofyour brain. You could:
- create a vision board
- go to a creative space and reflect on your own
- get together with a couple of other small business ownersand brainstorm
- do a visualisation.
If you’ve never used visualisation, I can recommend it!Start by closing your eyes and taking a couple of deep breaths to release anytension.
Now imagine that it is 12 months’ time, and you are lookingat your business as it is then. It has evolved, grown and changed. It isthriving, and so are you.
Let this business take shape around you. What do you see around you? What are youdoing? Who else is here?
What can you hear, and smell? If you reached out and touchedsomething, what would it be?
What’s important here? Soak this environment up with all ofyour senses.
Once you have completely immersed yourself in your futurebusiness, you can open your eyes. You’ve just ‘seen’ the vision of yourbusiness a year from now.
Did I achieve MY vision last year?
By the end of the year I wasn’t really concerned whether I achievedit or not. I was more focused on the benefits that had flowed from aiming forit.
These benefits included:
- Increasing my exposure online
- Growing my mailing list to reach more small business owners
- Reaching a wider audience through my workshops and speakingengagements
All of these contributed to an increase in paid work, both1:1 coaching and workshop attendees.
And actually yes, I did achieve my vision too!
More About The Author:
Amanda Cullen is a business coach who helps small businessowners to grow their business and run it better. She provides 1:1 coaching,either face-to-face in London and Surrey, or by Skype or phone nationwide. Shealso runs monthly workshops in London.
- Inspire Series (1)
- Monday Seller Success With Ebay (8)
- Small Biz 100 (1)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (8)
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2023?4 Months Ago
- Zero to hero in Nottingham10 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: That Vintage Football Shirt10 Months Ago
- Rock on in Southend on Sea10 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Purrfect Cat Gifts10 Months Ago
- One love, one heart on Ipswich’s high street10 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Hampers by Lauren10 Months Ago
- Good graces in Bristol and Bath10 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Top Dog10 Months Ago
- Weigh to go in Northwich10 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Handpicked Penrith11 Months Ago
- Holy cow in Westmorland11 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: The game is afoot11 Months Ago
- All fired up and ready to go in Gerrards Cross11 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success with eBay: Meteorite Man11 Months Ago
- Dorset's Ice Cream Appreciation Society11 Months Ago
- Monday Seller Success Story with eBay: Giddy Goats Toys11 Months Ago
- SmallBiz100 celebrated at the Blue Tie Event11 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2022?16 Months Ago
- From field to fork – making the most of Cheshire’s local produce21 Months Ago
- Sustainable living with BLANC22 Months Ago
- Pizza power22 Months Ago
- In the good books22 Months Ago
- From babygrows to beer kits22 Months Ago
- Smile and say cheese23 Months Ago
- The perfect planner for when you didn’t plan for this2 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2021?2 Years Ago
- Feeling lighter than air at The Float Spa3 Years Ago
- At the cutting edge of local community3 Years Ago
- Sewing the seeds of success in Scotland3 Years Ago
- Joco's leap of faith pays off3 Years Ago
- No messing around! How Tom Foolery Coffee Company pivoted during the pandemic3 Years Ago
- How Mandira’s Kitchen has its eye on spicing up your freezer3 Years Ago
- Wild about keeping it local and healthy in Bristol3 Years Ago
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration3 Years Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools3 Years Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now3 Years Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?3 Years Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans3 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?3 Years Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution3 Years Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups4 Years Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data4 Years Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder4 Years Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele4 Years Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty4 Years Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business4 Years Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick4 Years Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit4 Years Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK4 Years Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back4 Years Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars4 Years Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post4 Years Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20194 Years Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know4 Years Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business4 Years Ago
- Strength in numbers4 Years Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business4 Years Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro4 Years Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs4 Years Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success4 Years Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way4 Years Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?4 Years Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day4 Years Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!4 Years Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it4 Years Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!4 Years Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA4 Years Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!5 Years Ago
- Life in the fast Laine5 Years Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace5 Years Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers5 Years Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study5 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times5 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball5 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)5 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget5 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!5 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business5 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses5 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street5 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends5 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business5 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions5 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business5 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!5 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!5 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....5 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?5 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 25 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it5 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20185 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.5 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts5 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses5 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour6 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?6 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses6 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street6 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management6 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!6 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday7 Years Ago
- Why I applied to Small Biz 100: Crafty Revolution tells all8 Years Ago