Small Business Saturday Blog
12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses
Monday, January 15 at 13:55
On #microbizmatters day we shared 12 top tips on running your business to support their #IGave12 campaign which encourages others to give 12 to a micro business owner.
Focusing on business advice, branding and marketing there are some great tips for all kinds of businesses and some helpful links to further help from our Small Business Community.
Running your business
1. Get connected
Don’t feel like you have to be alone. Running your own business can be lonely and having other entrepreneurs and thought laders around you can really help to develop ideas and provide key support as well as a great sounding board for queries.
The FSB (Federation of Small Businesses) is a great organisation so check out @fsb_voice for more help and advice for Small Business.
2. Get social!
Today it is easier than ever to connect with peers online and join support groups and business development pages on social media. Be brave, sign up and get asking (and supporting) other small businesses. There may be someone out there that needs your expertise too!
Enterprise Nation has great meet-ups and networking opportunities, search @e_nation on twitter.
3. Money matters
Make sure that you get good financial advice when setting up or running your business. Good financial planning, clear strategies/forecasting and a good accountant can save a lot of sleepless nights and heartache.
If you want to find someone local to you with specific expertise, check out @ACCA_UK for your local member.
4. It’s all about me
Whether you are a sole trader or have a small team, you need to look after you. It’s tempting to take on all the roles and run yourself into the ground in order to move your business forward but as the saying goes, ‘you can’t pour from an empty cup’. You are the most important asset for your business, you must look after your needs in order to run a business to the best of your ability.
Marketing and social media
5. Make a plan
Planning is key for a marketing strategy. Don’t create an unrealistic plan as this can be demoralising and leave you feeling defeated. Set yourself small simple goals and these can be increased as you see success. It may be a target number of followers on Facebook, a specific number of sign-ups for a newsletter or exhibiting goals.
If you need help with a marketing plan, check out Marketing by Minal @Minal2804
6. Be where your customers are
It may sound obvious but with so many social media platforms it can sometimes feel very overwhelming and like you have to be everywhere at once! Find the social media platform that most speaks to your customers, most people are on Facebook so that is an obvious start but you may consider other platforms like Instagram if your business is creative or particularly visual. Do some research and see where your customers are visiting.
7.Aim for relationships not just sales
Building strong relationships with your customers will mean that they are more likely to be a repeat customer and share their good experiences with others. Micro businesses are all about the people at the very heart of them. Be brave and put yourself, your passion for your product/service and your business into all your interactions to make sure you stick in their minds for exceptional customer service.
8. Keep in touch
Don’t be afraid to ask someone for their contact details. Mailing lists have a bad reputation but used carefully and compassionately they can be a great tool to inform your customers, advise them of great offers and let that personality shine through. Similarly, every day we come across opportunities to network (especially if you produce a wearable product), always make sure you have a supply of business cards and details you can pass on.
If you need more help with your marketing, one of our fab small business community Karen Campbell could help you. Check out @k_c_marketing for some great blogs, advice and tips.
9. Have a good name and logo.
A strong brand is easily recognizable. Recognition starts with the name of your business. The name will appear on your business cards, letterhead, website, social networks, promotional materials, products, and pretty much everywhere in print and online to identify your company or your company’s products and/or services. People commonly associate brands with the brand’s logo. As you think about your logo, keep your audience and products/services in mind because you want your logo to reflect your company. A good logo builds trust and a strong logo will help to pull your brand together.
10. Find your brand voice.
What you say is important, but don’t overlook how you say it. Your company’s “voice” is the language and personality you and your employees will use to deliver your branding message and reach your customers. Successful brands speak with a unique voice. Think about the brands you admire – what makes them unique? How do they communicate with you and other customers? What do you like about their voice?
11. Deliver value for your customers.
Value doesn’t mean lowest price. You can focus on product, great customer service , delivery of service, or a combination of those things. When thinking about the value your company delivers ask what sets your product or service apart from others with similar products/services. A personable company with an excellent product are strong emotional drivers for a customer to purchase.
12. Create a personality.
When you are deciding on how to brand your company and ‘voice’ it sometimes helps to think of it as a person. Analysing that character’s beliefs, likes and dislikes, where they live and what their lifestyle is like. This will help you find your target customer and solidify your brand.
One of our favourite personalities is Alison Edgar from The Entrepreneurs Godmother, go to @aliedgar13 to check her out!
Small Business Saturday provides help and support for all Small Businesses throughout the year by providing workshops, webinars and informative content.
Small Business Saturday UK also highlights small business success and encourages consumers to ‘shop local’ and support small businesses in their communities.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (1)
- Brand (1)
- Branding (2)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Bus Tour (2)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (1)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Events (1)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Finance (3)
- Getting Online (2)
- HR (3)
- How To (4)
- Inspiration (3)
- Inspire Series (1)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (3)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (4)
- Recruitment (3)
- Small Biz 100 (2)
- Small Business (11)
- Small Business Saturday (12)
- Small Business Saturday 2015 (3)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Media (3)
- Start-Up Support (1)
- Top Tips (12)
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration11 Days Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools10 Weeks Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now4 Months Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?4 Months Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans4 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?5 Months Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution9 Months Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups10 Months Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data10 Months Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder10 Months Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele11 Months Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty11 Months Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business11 Months Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick11 Months Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit12 Months Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK12 Months Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back12 Months Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars13 Months Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post13 Months Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 201914 Months Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know14 Months Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business14 Months Ago
- Strength in numbers15 Months Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business16 Months Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro16 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2019?16 Months Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs17 Months Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success17 Months Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way18 Months Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?18 Months Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day19 Months Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!20 Months Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it20 Months Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!21 Months Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA21 Months Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!23 Months Ago
- Life in the fast Laine23 Months Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace23 Months Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers23 Months Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study2 Years Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!2 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times2 Years Ago
- How to open a corner shop2 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball2 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)2 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget2 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!2 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business2 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses2 Years Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!2 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street2 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends2 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business2 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions2 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business2 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!2 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!2 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....2 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?2 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 22 Years Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 12 Years Ago
- Save time with automation2 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it2 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20182 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.2 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses2 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses2 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts2 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses2 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour3 Years Ago
- There is still time to get involved!3 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?3 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses3 Years Ago
- Better people for Better business3 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street3 Years Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 20183 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!3 Years Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service3 Years Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!3 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management3 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!3 Years Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs3 Years Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions3 Years Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy3 Years Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding3 Years Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend3 Years Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity3 Years Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork3 Years Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business3 Years Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates3 Years Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk3 Years Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips3 Years Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups3 Years Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence3 Years Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event3 Years Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business3 Years Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair4 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million4 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix4 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill4 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed4 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution4 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.4 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships4 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild4 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training4 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business4 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business4 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing4 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes4 Years Ago
- Communication is key4 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found4 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?4 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?4 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine4 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine4 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?4 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier4 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet4 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki4 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business4 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business4 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques4 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital4 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert4 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?4 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business4 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter4 Years Ago
- Music makeover4 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding4 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses4 Years Ago
- Making the most of Small Business Saturday4 Years Ago
- Finding alternative sources of finance for your small business5 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday 2015: Burton5 Years Ago
- Top tips for finding a great office for your small business5 Years Ago
- Interview with Martin George of the Post Office5 Years Ago
- Colourful New Photo Exhibition of Levenshulme Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Small business and accessibility5 Years Ago
- 3 Online Tips for Small Business Saturday5 Years Ago
- A Pension Solution for small businesses tackling automatic enrolment5 Years Ago
- Competing Fairly in Business: advice all small businesses should know5 Years Ago
- Meet the businesses on the bus: Gough Quarters5 Years Ago
- Exhibition Marketing ideas for Beginners5 Years Ago
- How your business can make a difference with renewable energy5 Years Ago
- Your small business website: what to put on each page5 Years Ago
- Meet the Businesses on the Bus: Unflatpack5 Years Ago