Small Business Saturday Blog
12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses
Monday, January 15 at 13:55
On #microbizmatters day we shared 12 top tips on running your business to support their #IGave12 campaign which encourages others to give 12 to a micro business owner.
Focusing on business advice, branding and marketing there are some great tips for all kinds of businesses and some helpful links to further help from our Small Business Community.
Running your business
1. Get connected
Don’t feel like you have to be alone. Running your own business can be lonely and having other entrepreneurs and thought laders around you can really help to develop ideas and provide key support as well as a great sounding board for queries.
The FSB (Federation of Small Businesses) is a great organisation so check out @fsb_voice for more help and advice for Small Business.
2. Get social!
Today it is easier than ever to connect with peers online and join support groups and business development pages on social media. Be brave, sign up and get asking (and supporting) other small businesses. There may be someone out there that needs your expertise too!
Enterprise Nation has great meet-ups and networking opportunities, search @e_nation on twitter.
3. Money matters
Make sure that you get good financial advice when setting up or running your business. Good financial planning, clear strategies/forecasting and a good accountant can save a lot of sleepless nights and heartache.
If you want to find someone local to you with specific expertise, check out @ACCA_UK for your local member.
4. It’s all about me
Whether you are a sole trader or have a small team, you need to look after you. It’s tempting to take on all the roles and run yourself into the ground in order to move your business forward but as the saying goes, ‘you can’t pour from an empty cup’. You are the most important asset for your business, you must look after your needs in order to run a business to the best of your ability.
Marketing and social media
5. Make a plan
Planning is key for a marketing strategy. Don’t create an unrealistic plan as this can be demoralising and leave you feeling defeated. Set yourself small simple goals and these can be increased as you see success. It may be a target number of followers on Facebook, a specific number of sign-ups for a newsletter or exhibiting goals.
If you need help with a marketing plan, check out Marketing by Minal @Minal2804
6. Be where your customers are
It may sound obvious but with so many social media platforms it can sometimes feel very overwhelming and like you have to be everywhere at once! Find the social media platform that most speaks to your customers, most people are on Facebook so that is an obvious start but you may consider other platforms like Instagram if your business is creative or particularly visual. Do some research and see where your customers are visiting.
7.Aim for relationships not just sales
Building strong relationships with your customers will mean that they are more likely to be a repeat customer and share their good experiences with others. Micro businesses are all about the people at the very heart of them. Be brave and put yourself, your passion for your product/service and your business into all your interactions to make sure you stick in their minds for exceptional customer service.
8. Keep in touch
Don’t be afraid to ask someone for their contact details. Mailing lists have a bad reputation but used carefully and compassionately they can be a great tool to inform your customers, advise them of great offers and let that personality shine through. Similarly, every day we come across opportunities to network (especially if you produce a wearable product), always make sure you have a supply of business cards and details you can pass on.
If you need more help with your marketing, one of our fab small business community Karen Campbell could help you. Check out @k_c_marketing for some great blogs, advice and tips.
9. Have a good name and logo.
A strong brand is easily recognizable. Recognition starts with the name of your business. The name will appear on your business cards, letterhead, website, social networks, promotional materials, products, and pretty much everywhere in print and online to identify your company or your company’s products and/or services. People commonly associate brands with the brand’s logo. As you think about your logo, keep your audience and products/services in mind because you want your logo to reflect your company. A good logo builds trust and a strong logo will help to pull your brand together.
10. Find your brand voice.
What you say is important, but don’t overlook how you say it. Your company’s “voice” is the language and personality you and your employees will use to deliver your branding message and reach your customers. Successful brands speak with a unique voice. Think about the brands you admire – what makes them unique? How do they communicate with you and other customers? What do you like about their voice?
11. Deliver value for your customers.
Value doesn’t mean lowest price. You can focus on product, great customer service , delivery of service, or a combination of those things. When thinking about the value your company delivers ask what sets your product or service apart from others with similar products/services. A personable company with an excellent product are strong emotional drivers for a customer to purchase.
12. Create a personality.
When you are deciding on how to brand your company and ‘voice’ it sometimes helps to think of it as a person. Analysing that character’s beliefs, likes and dislikes, where they live and what their lifestyle is like. This will help you find your target customer and solidify your brand.
One of our favourite personalities is Alison Edgar from The Entrepreneurs Godmother, go to @aliedgar13 to check her out!
Small Business Saturday provides help and support for all Small Businesses throughout the year by providing workshops, webinars and informative content.
Small Business Saturday UK also highlights small business success and encourages consumers to ‘shop local’ and support small businesses in their communities.
Interested in writing a Blog Post for Small Business Saturday? Here are our guidelines.
- Accounting (1)
- Brand (1)
- Branding (1)
- Budgeting Tips For Small Business (1)
- Business (1)
- Collaboration (1)
- Customer (1)
- Digital (6)
- Economy (1)
- Exhibiting (1)
- Finance (1)
- Getting Online (2)
- HR (3)
- How To (4)
- Inspiration (1)
- Inspire Series (1)
- Legal (1)
- Marketing (3)
- Plan (2)
- Planning (3)
- Protect (1)
- Quick Guide (3)
- Recruitment (3)
- Small Biz 100 (2)
- Small Business (9)
- Small Business Saturday (10)
- Small Business Saturday Uk Champion (2)
- Smallbiz100 (1)
- Social Media (3)
- Start-Up Support (1)
- Top Tips (9)
- From field to fork – making the most of Cheshire’s local produce5 Months Ago
- Sustainable living with BLANC6 Months Ago
- Pizza power6 Months Ago
- In the good books6 Months Ago
- From babygrows to beer kits6 Months Ago
- Smile and say cheese7 Months Ago
- The perfect planner for when you didn’t plan for this8 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2021?11 Months Ago
- Feeling lighter than air at The Float Spa17 Months Ago
- At the cutting edge of local community17 Months Ago
- Sewing the seeds of success in Scotland17 Months Ago
- Joco's leap of faith pays off17 Months Ago
- No messing around! How Tom Foolery Coffee Company pivoted during the pandemic17 Months Ago
- How Mandira’s Kitchen has its eye on spicing up your freezer17 Months Ago
- Wild about keeping it local and healthy in Bristol18 Months Ago
- Award winning small business announced at Blue Tie celebration19 Months Ago
- Free leadership training for SME leaders delivered by leading Business Schools21 Months Ago
- Six things you can do in your business right now23 Months Ago
- How can my employees return to work safely and legally after Covid-19?23 Months Ago
- What is it really like being a #SmallBiz100? – Stamptastic spill the beans23 Months Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2020?2 Years Ago
- Why embracing technology should be your New Year resolution2 Years Ago
- Starting a new business: financial tips for start ups3 Years Ago
- Top 10 security tips for small businesses storing personal data3 Years Ago
- From architect to artisan at the Dumfries Larder3 Years Ago
- Putting down new Roots in Abergele3 Years Ago
- How Amazon is helping one woman tackle taboos and period poverty3 Years Ago
- Creating a community: What it means to be a small business3 Years Ago
- Building an enabling bridge, brick by brick3 Years Ago
- Get ready to rock with Rockit3 Years Ago
- How to create an event for Small Business Saturday UK3 Years Ago
- Jampacked with passion: the local cinema that’s giving back3 Years Ago
- Celebrating the North East’s cycle stars3 Years Ago
- Don’t know what to write about? 9 ideas for your next business newsletter, blog or social media post3 Years Ago
- Take a butcher’s at the first of the #SmallBiz100 20193 Years Ago
- 7 essential growth tips that small businesses need to know3 Years Ago
- Making a great first impression: photography & small business3 Years Ago
- Strength in numbers3 Years Ago
- How to choose the right pricing strategy for your business3 Years Ago
- How taking matters into her own hands led to huge success for Revival Retro3 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a #SmallBiz100 2019?3 Years Ago
- 5 content ideas every small business needs3 Years Ago
- The Flour Pot Bakery's secret to success3 Years Ago
- How to harness the power of Instagram and drive your business forward - the GB Labels way3 Years Ago
- Making Tax Digital is here! What does it mean for your business?3 Years Ago
- How we should champion success for International Women's Day3 Years Ago
- Step aside Mystery Shopper scheme - hello new Public Procurement Review Service!3 Years Ago
- The top three causes of entrepreneur burnout and how to avoid it3 Years Ago
- Get a great digital ad for your business for just £50, and help tomorrow’s entrepreneurs learn with iDEA!3 Years Ago
- Badge Your Brilliance with iDEA3 Years Ago
- How to make your Christmas the most successful yet!4 Years Ago
- Life in the fast Laine4 Years Ago
- Small businesses shine at launch of Silver iDEA Award St James's Palace4 Years Ago
- Local and sustainable is winning formula for SmallBiz100 Hays Hampers4 Years Ago
- Red Herring Games – Case Study4 Years Ago
- Going for gold with the Inspiring Digital Enterprise Award!4 Years Ago
- Keeping Up With The Tylers: How To Move With The Times4 Years Ago
- How to open a corner shop4 Years Ago
- Making our own kind of music at the Blue Tie Ball4 Years Ago
- How to guest blog (and look like you know what you’re doing)4 Years Ago
- How to market your small business on a budget4 Years Ago
- Top summer marketing tips!4 Years Ago
- Purposely: embedding purpose into the heart of your small business4 Years Ago
- A ‘Dog Day Afternoon’ for Britain’s small businesses4 Years Ago
- Your iDEA Award questions answered!4 Years Ago
- Five ways to make your business successful in five years!4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Mooch revive the local high street4 Years Ago
- Why apply to be a SmallBiz100 2018?4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Julu on design, manufacturing, and building an online business with friends4 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series From Rich Brady ... Setting Business Goals4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Techsixtyfour on how to successfully build an online business4 Years Ago
- SmallBiz100 Frequently Asked Questions4 Years Ago
- Small Business Champion Series from Rich Brady...Putting the Family into Family Business4 Years Ago
- Exporting - not just for the big!4 Years Ago
- Can Giving Really Be Good for a Small Business? Spoiler: Yes!4 Years Ago
- Let's get organised....4 Years Ago
- Is your business leaking money?4 Years Ago
- Podcasting - The Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 24 Years Ago
- Podcasting - the Ultimate How-To Guide - Part 14 Years Ago
- Save time with automation4 Years Ago
- Setting BIG goals – why do it and how to go about it4 Years Ago
- International Women's Day 20184 Years Ago
- 9 tips for Business Success - it's all about love.4 Years Ago
- Demystifying LinkedIn for Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- 10 Top Money Tips for Small Businesses4 Years Ago
- Organising a Small Business Event - Tips from the Experts4 Years Ago
- 12 Top Tips for Micro-businesses4 Years Ago
- ACCA on board the Small Business Saturday Bus Tour5 Years Ago
- There is still time to get involved!5 Years Ago
- Is Britain Becoming a Cashless Society?5 Years Ago
- Small Business Spotlight - How Technology Can Help Small Businesses5 Years Ago
- Better people for Better business5 Years Ago
- Taking Your Business Beyond the High Street5 Years Ago
- Five reasons to be optimistic about access to finance in 20185 Years Ago
- Small Business Saturday App!5 Years Ago
- The Importance of Customer Service5 Years Ago
- Sign up today for free business mentoring!5 Years Ago
- 5 Ideas to Improve your Time Management5 Years Ago
- The Small Business Saturday Bus Tour launches across the UK for its fifth year!5 Years Ago
- 5 minute interview with Nick Entwistle from One Minute Briefs5 Years Ago
- Say Hello to the 2017 Small Business Saturday Champions5 Years Ago
- 5 ways to save money on your business energy5 Years Ago
- Establishing a Small Business through Online Branding5 Years Ago
- Get by with a little help from a friend5 Years Ago
- How Small Businesses Should Deal With Adversity5 Years Ago
- Three helpful ways your phone can reduce paperwork5 Years Ago
- How to Set Up Your Own Business5 Years Ago
- Give Your Business a Boost with Improved Conversion Rates5 Years Ago
- Protecting Your Business Against Risk5 Years Ago
- Small Business Budgeting Tips5 Years Ago
- Hiring tips for start-ups5 Years Ago
- How small businesses can build their online presence5 Years Ago
- Leading business experts come together in one-off inspirational event5 Years Ago
- Five Tips to Effectively Market your Business5 Years Ago
- Nottingham's Lady Bay Vintage Midcentury Antiques Fair6 Years Ago
- Spend with small busisness on Small Business Saturday up 15% year on year to £717 million6 Years Ago
- Why you need to add exhibiting to your marketing mix6 Years Ago
- Seven ways you may be able to reduce your tax bill6 Years Ago
- Practical advice from Acas to help small businesses succeed6 Years Ago
- Automatic enrolment problems? The PLSA has a Pension Solution6 Years Ago
- Ideas and Innovation Dens: help tease out those great ideas and turn them into reality faster.6 Years Ago
- Black & Gold: Supporting other local businesses through partnerships6 Years Ago
- Interview with Paul Gardner founder of the East End Trades Guild6 Years Ago
- Fully Funded Essential Management Skills Training6 Years Ago
- What I learnt in my first year in business6 Years Ago
- 4 Invoicing Mistakes you Should Avoid in your Small Business6 Years Ago
- Interview with Small Business Saturday Champion Elaine Pritchard from Caittom Publishing6 Years Ago
- A Guide to: Handling Small Business Disputes6 Years Ago
- Communication is key6 Years Ago
- How to get your small business found6 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?6 Years Ago
- Is cloud hosting for you?6 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine6 Years Ago
- How to: Get your product in a magazine6 Years Ago
- Is Beer Brewing The Next Big Thing For The Hospitality Industry?6 Years Ago
- 5 tips to make starting your business easier6 Years Ago
- Do not underestimate the power of the internet6 Years Ago
- A Beginners Guide to Corporate Wiki6 Years Ago
- How to use social media to grow your small business6 Years Ago
- Recruiting for your small business6 Years Ago
- 5 Customer Experience Tips for Small Businesses6 Years Ago
- Effective interviewing techniques6 Years Ago
- How Your Small Business Should Go Digital6 Years Ago
- How to write the perfect job advert6 Years Ago
- Hiring a VA: What's it all about?6 Years Ago
- Surviving and thriving as a small business6 Years Ago
- Why job descriptions matter6 Years Ago
- Music makeover6 Years Ago
- Five things all SMEs should know when applying for funding6 Years Ago
- Self-assessment help for small businesses6 Years Ago